Wednesday, August 11, 2010

New inspiration

It's been a long hot summer, in my part of the country and while I was lamenting the fact that I was unable to get outside, to paint, I re-ignited my search for fresh inspiration. This summers quest carried me through many art books, videos and blogs, covering all types of art. Then I stumbled upon The Virtual Paintout site and knew instantly I had found a gem!

The Virtual Paintout, http//virtualpaintout.blogspot.com/, hosted by Bill Guffey, is a unique idea and a wonderful resource for inspiration. The site uses Google Sreet View as a resource to find interesting areas to paint. After the artist submits his/her work, Bill posts them on the site, for the worlds pleasure. I am always interested in seeing how other artists interpret the landscapes of our world and this site offers a variety of styles.

I was so inspired that I had to jump right in and give it a try. It took a little while for me to find "just the right spot" so I missed the July deadline for submitting work, but I think I have the hang of it now. The August, 2010 virtual paintout is taking place on Prince Edward Island, Canada. If you decide to join, be sure to read all of the rules, to make sure you get your painting posted.

It's relaxing to be painting in the comfort of home and not packing an easel, backpack, bug spray and all of the other paint out goodies, needed to paint on location. My preference is painting from life, but this is great fun. Lately, I have been working with soft pastels and they can be pretty heavy to carry around.

Here's a hearty thank you to Bill Guffey and also to Google Street View, for just the jump start I needed this hot summer. Many, many thanks!

No comments: